Houthis attack another commercial ship after new US bombings

No time to read?
Get a summary

Despite warnings and renewed US bombing Yemen, Houthi rebels attacked a commercial ship for the second consecutive day this Tuesday The actions taking place in the Red Sea are actions they have promised to continue to carry out as they prepare their response against the United States.

A missile launched by the rebels hit the Greek cargo ship ‘Zografia’The ship set sail for Israel under the Maltese flag. A collision occurred that did not injure the 24 crew or cause serious damage to the ship.According to the information provided by the shipping company to EFE, it was able to continue its way towards the Suez Canal.

Shortly afterwards, Houthi spokesman Yahya Sarea said in a televised statement that the attack Ship crew rejected many “warning calls” The rebels changed course.

Promising that the attacks on ships going to Israel to support the Palestinians in the Gaza Strip will continue, the spokesman said, “The operation took place after the ship’s crew rejected warning calls, including warning messages thrown into the air.”

There is an attack on ‘Zografia’ One day after the Houthis hit the American container ship M/V Gibraltar Eagle with a missileAn action they celebrated with the flag of the Marshall Islands at a time when tension in the Red Sea was at its maximum due to the intensification of crossfire.

USA hit Yemen again

The attack was: After a new bombardment United States of America Against Houthi positions in YemenThis is the third operation for which Washington has accepted responsibility since the US and UK launched a large-scale military operation early last Friday.

United States Central Command (CENTCOM) stated that the air strike took place around 04.15 local time (1:15 GMT). “targeted four Houthi anti-ship ballistic missiles” It is being prepared to be launched from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen.

However, despite this new bombing, which the Houthis have not commented on so far, the rebels’ military spokesman assured: The group will continue to block the navigation of ships Israel and any ship bound for an Israeli port “until the Jewish State’s attack on Gaza, where more than 24,000 Palestinians have died since the war began on October 7, is stopped.”

Likewise, Sarea also warned: Rebels “will continue to take all defensive and offensive measures” He used the phrase “within the scope of the right of self-defense”, referring to the US and UK bombings of Houthi positions in Yemen in retaliation for attacks in the Red Sea.

Media sympathetic to the rebels claim that the new attacks on merchant ships are not part of the Houthis’ retaliation for US bombings. They will respond “definitively” at the appropriate time.

Sarea had already warned and assured this Monday: Western operations against Yemen will be met with an “inevitable reaction”.

As White House National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan said today, predicting from the Davos Forum that the attacks of the Houthis in the Red Sea will continue, Washington is also aware of this and asked all the countries of the world to unite against these attacks.

“A terrible humanitarian impact”

At a time when conflicts are escalating, a total of 26 NGOs issued the following warning this Tuesday: Attacks already have ‘horrendous humanitarian impact’ in YemenWhere more than 21 million people – more than two-thirds of the population – are in “desperate” need of food, water and life-saving assistance.

According to NGOs, Trade disruption due to insecurity increases commodity prices and Yemen, mired in war since 2014, is heavily reliant on imports via the Red Sea, “causing delays in the shipment of life-saving goods.”

“Political leaders should consider the dire humanitarian consequences of military escalation and avoid actions that could result in a new large-scale armed conflict in Yemen,” the joint statement said.

No time to read?
Get a summary
Previous Article

A Korean company launches an NFT project to support Luis Rubiales

Next Article

Bosacki compared the Pegasus case… to Watergate. PiS has submitted an important amendment! ‘You shout that you are so honest’