If you bought a game on Steam and don’t like it, you can return it. But the return does not work in all cases – for this you must meet certain requirements. In this guide, we’ve outlined all the effective ways to get your money back on a game or add-on.
Help with Steam, PS Store and more
The need to return a game to Steam arises for several reasons. Maybe you just didn’t like the game after you bought it, or it turned out to be incompatible with your computer, causing technical issues. And sometimes purchases are made accidentally or spontaneously. For such cases, Steam has a refund system that allows players to get their money back within a short time of purchase, provided a certain number of hours have been played in the game itself.
Is it possible to return the game to Steam? Required conditions for returns
As with any digital platform, Steam offers refunds for the game. However, it is worth noting that certain requirements must be met. No refunds can be made in the following cases:
- You did not buy the game on Steam, but on third-party sites and activated it with the key you received;
- You only want to return one set of the entire set. This is not possible, because you can only return the complete set;
- We are talking about an educational video, film or series. Exceptions – if they are included in the game or in addition to it. In this case you can return the entire set;
- If you were notified during checkout that it is not possible to issue a return. To avoid this, read the terms of the agreement carefully before making a purchase;
- You have been blocked by Valve Anti-Cheat (VAC);
- The game was received for free during the promotion, and after a while they began to sell it for money again.
If your game does not fall under the cases described above, it can be returned. But for this to happen, two important conditions must be met:
- you played no longer than two hours.
- Bought game no longer than 14 days ago (336 hours).
If you purchased an add-on (DLC), even starting for 1 second will make it impossible to process a return. You can cancel your pre-order at any time before the game’s release and get a refund.
How to get a refund for a game on Steam
Follow these steps to return the game:
- Open “Library”.
- Select the game or add-on you want to return. If the DLC is not listed, click the tab “Show all additional content”.
- Right click three dots and click on the article “Support”.
- Choose an option “Bought by accident” or “The product did not meet expectations”.
- Now click on the button “I would like to request a refund”.
- Confirm the action and submit the request.
After this, your request will be sent to the moderators for consideration. As a rule, the processing time for an application does not exceed two working days.
Source: VG Times
Christina Moncayo is a contributing writer for “Social Bites”. Her focus is on the gaming industry and she provides in-depth coverage of the latest news and trends in the world of gaming.