Home Latest News Other countries can benefit from the 15% reduction in gas consumption exemption

Other countries can benefit from the 15% reduction in gas consumption exemption


twenty seven countries European Union It reached a political agreement on Tuesday to save gas for gas. harsh winter what’s coming now the deal passes reduce consumption gas 15% on the mainlandprimarily on a voluntary basis and Emergency level in Europe. Although all countries should reduce their demands to this extent. some exceptions allowing situations such as Spain agreeing to cut consumption ‘only’ by 7%. According to the ‘think tank’, these are the other countries that could seek relief from their obligations. Brueghel, however, this does not mean that they will not reduce their consumption in any way.

1. Cyprus, Ireland and Malta

The first of the exceptions Islands and impacts, as explained by the Czech Minister of Industry, who holds the presidency of the Council of Europe, Ireland, Cyprus and Malta. Being cut off from the continental energy system, they would have no way of sharing their excess demands. This is as the Energy Commissioner explained on Tuesday, Kadri Simsonthese countries have confirmed that they will take voluntary measures to reduce their consumption.

2. Baltic States

The second exception is The special situation of the Baltic States: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania. In this case it happens because electricity grids are not connected to the European systembut to Russian and they are very dependent on gas to generate electricity. “If Russia had disconnected them from the electricity system, they would have had to use gas to stabilize their system. They don’t need this exception for the time being and they have already reduced demand, but if the situation changes they would have this derogation,” the commissioner explained on Tuesday. energy, Kadri Simson.

3. Croatia, France, Portugal and Spain

These four countries may benefit from the third of the exceptions. adapt your demand reduction obligations on demand. The reason they can hint is because they have limited intermediate links but with other member states export capabilities or infrastructure National LNG is used to divert gas to other member states. Till the end. In the case of Spain, it has publicly announced that it has reached an agreement to voluntarily reduce its demand to 7%.

4. Czech Republic, Denmark and Poland

Another exception that may be requested is associated with filling underground gas tanks. At this point, the possibility of less reduction in demand for countries that exceed the targets set by the European Commission comes to the fore. November 1, 80% of storage capacity is full. According to Bruegel, the Czech Republic, Denmark and Poland are the only states that fit this proposition.

According to Agsi, currently the Czech Republic has 78% of warehouses, Denmark 86% and Poland almost 99%. The capacity difference of each country is huge, so Germany has 245 terawatt-hours (TWh), Italy has 194 TWh and France 131 TWh; Spain’s is around 35.1 TWh and Denmark’s is 9.3 TWh.

5. Germany and other countries

this fifth exception It is the widest one to handle. critical industry It needs gas for its production. In this case, Bruegel’s analysts Germany as a repetitive country due to its high level of industry, but at this point they acknowledge metrics iffy. Another study by E3G suggests that 50% of gas consumption in industry occurs in three countries: Denmark, France and Italy, followed closely by Spain.

6. Bulgaria, Greece, Poland and Slovakia

Sixth, according to Bruegel, up to four member states can request a reduction in gas consumption due to the increase in their gas consumption. gas demand to generate electricity increased by more than 8% last year compared to the previous five years: Bulgaria, Greece, Poland and Slovakia. However, according to E3G, there are three countries. 50% of gas consumption is produced in electricity generation: Spain, Denmark and Italy.

In the case of Spain, gas demand has historically been a 60% for the sector and the remaining 40% in equal parts electricity generation (20%) and households and SMEs (20%), approx.. But there has been a comeback in recent months: combined cycles increased its natural gas consumption by 70 percent. 40% of the total gas demand.

Source: Informacion



Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Exit mobile version