A source close to the Hamas movement told Agence France-Presse (AFP) that they are ready to extend the ceasefire in the conflict with Israel. This was reported by RIA News.
On Thursday morning, Qatar’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs confirmed a one-day extension of the humanitarian ceasefire in the Gaza Strip, which is expected to end at 07:00 (08:00 GMT) on Friday.
The source also said that mediators are actively working to achieve a ceasefire for one more day and then extend it for a few days.
The situation in the Middle East escalated after thousands of Hamas militants infiltrated Israel from the Gaza Strip on October 7, when Hamas announced the launch of Operation Al-Aqsa Flood. In response, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announcedthat the country is at war.
The aim of Israel’s response to Operation Iron Sword was to repel the attack, release more than 200 hostages, including foreigners, and destroy Hamas. In order to achieve this goal, Israel launched major rocket attacks on the Gaza Strip from the first day of the operation. At the same time, the Israeli National Security Council decided to stop the supply of water, food, goods, electricity and fuel to the sector. Humanitarian aid shipments to Gaza began to be sent through the Rafah checkpoint only after October 20, and it was stated that their volume was insufficient.
27 October Israel announced About the “expansion” of the ground operation in Gaza. It is not known exactly when the operation started, but before the operation, hundreds of thousands of Palestinians fled their homes and moved to shelters and the south of the region. November 5, as part of the ground operation of IDF forces surrounded Gaza city and supplies cut off, still exists in central Gaza to continue fights.
Previously Hamas launched first hostages.
Barbara Dickson is a seasoned writer for “Social Bites”. She keeps readers informed on the latest news and trends, providing in-depth coverage and analysis on a variety of topics.