armed attack From Klan del Golfo to troops in a search and control operation in Colombia’s Bolívar division (north) left a soldier dead and seven more injuredmilitary sources reported this Wednesday. Joint Task Force Marte Command said in a statement that the attack occurred in a rural area of the town of Montecristo, and a police officer was also injured. The wounded, including a non-commissioned officer, were treated by combat medics and later taken to a private hospital where they received medical attention. The information added that military operations are being carried out in the region to find out the whereabouts of those who carried out the “despicable act”. Similarly, complaints were lodged with the Colombian Prosecutor’s Office for violations of international humanitarian law provisions and violations of human rights.
Clan del Golfo, Colombia’s largest criminal gang, placed an order last week a four-day ‘armed strike’ that left at least 309 acts of violence and 178 affected municipalities in 11 departments. These actions were in retaliation for the extradition of his chief boss, Dairo Antonio Úsuga, nicknamed ‘Otoniel’, to the United States.
Colombian President Iván Duque said that all the actions of the Clan del Golfo at the time were a desperate and cowardly attitude as a result of Úsuga’s extradition. To respond to the actions of the Clan del Golfo, President Duque launched the Search Block last Tuesday, whose main purpose will be to capture or kill the new leaders of this armed organization. This block consists of 700 men from the Police, 720 from the ArmyFrom Necoclí and Carepa in the Antioquia division will carry out an “unprecedented” attack against the commanders of the criminal gang.
This new strategy to put an end to the Clan del Golfo will be accompanied by 15 prosecutors to ensure a speedy trial for those captured and speed up the site extinction processes.