developers Stray from BlueTwelve Studio didn’t foresee the presence of a multiplayer cooperative mode, but the network has already found a unique way to trigger multiplayer. To do this, you need to install an additional community change. In this guide, we will explain how to download the multiplayer mode and play Stray with your friends on the same screen.
Stray . guides
- Full passage of Stray. Find all collectible notes, badges and reminders
- How to collect all musical notes in Stray and get the achievement “Meow Lodia”
- Collectibles in Stray – how to collect all badges, memories and unlock rare achievements
- Co-op in Stray: how to play on the same screen with friends and other players
Remark: installing various files from unauthenticated sources can have disastrous consequences for the device you are using. Our material only uses direct links to a known source – Nexus Mods.
How the change works
Using the method described in the following paragraphs, PC users can activate Split Screen on the computer – the split screen mode. It is worth noting that you cannot play Stray online using this method. To activate the local co-op feature, you need to download additional files and place them in the appropriate folders. Unfortunately, PlayStation console owners are unable to install the change due to the system’s closed architecture to outside user intervention.
How to Install Splitscreen Mod and Activate Multiplayer
This section provides detailed instructions for installing the change. Follow all the steps below to start a co-op game.
Follow the link to the Splitscreen modification on Nexus Mods. To download the improvement, you must go through the authorization or registration on the site, otherwise access to the download will be closed.
Click on the tab Files and alternately use the buttons Download manually in the respective windows of the specified files split screen and Required split screen configuration.
On the pages that open, use the button slow download install files. No need to buy premium and use fast download. Both files are very small (about 13 kb) and download quickly even at slow speeds.
After downloading, you need to extract the archives and place the downloaded files in the root folder of the game. Steam users can open the program and find Stray in the list of purchased apps. After that you need to right click, open “Properties” and in the section “Local Files” Press the button “Review” to navigate to the correct folder.
In the Stray game files folder, first go to the path “stray/hk_project/content/paks” and put the file here SplitScreenRequiredConfig_P.pak.
Create a folder here Logical Mods and open it. In a folder Logical Mods put the file SplitScreenMod.pak.
Follow the link for automatic download UnrealModLoader and extract the files to any convenient location.
Open the UnrealModLoader folder and run the file UnrealEngineModLauncher. Launch Stray.
In the main menu, press the key F9 on keyboard. The screen is divided into two users – the main image is displayed in the upper area, and active buttons from the main menu appear on a completely black background in the lower area.
When the button is reactivated F9 the player can add additional users, but there are some limitations and bugs. Detailed information on this can be found in the next section.
Limitations and Errors. How to avoid problems starting the change?
First of all, keep in mind that the mod’s developer didn’t go through the entire game in split screen, so at this point there is no confirmation of the improvement’s flawless operation throughout the entire playthrough. If errors occur, it is worth restarting the game and loading the last save without activating additional users.
Pay attention to the main details of the implementation of the Splitscreen modification:
- Additional users are activated with the key F9 on keyboard.
- In co-op mode, only the session creator can see the game interface (HUD), so the rest of the connected users will have to explore the game world without him.
- In rare cases, there are problems with the transition to other levels – friends who have joined the session may get stuck. Reload your save and reconnect with other users.
- Stray is not designed for split screen use, so there may be some visual glitches.
- Add more than one player at your own risk – the developer has no confirmation of the stable operation of the project for three or more users.
- The camera can lose sight of the main player. In this case, try to start saving again. The developer of the change is aware of this issue and will try to fix it as soon as possible.
- When using the key F9 outside the main menu, fatal errors can occur leading to a complete crash of the game. Close Stray, restart the file UnrealEngineModLauncher and reopen the game.
Be prepared for other bugs – the change is in development.
Source: VG Times