The successor to the UAZ‑469 line is the UAZ‑3151, renamed Hunter (“Hunter”) for market euphony. Upgraded dozens of times. Since 2015, it corresponds to the fifth ecoclass. Since 2019, it has been certified as a truck (UAZ‑2924 index), which means that you are not allowed to install an airbag. Since the same year, it has been equipped with ABS in the base, Spicer bridges and a Korean manual gearbox.
Several special series have been released: “Classic”, “Victory”, “Anniversary”, “Expedition” and others.
Advantages of UAZ‑3151
- A true SUV: 210mm of ground clearance, excellent cross-country geometric capability, long-travel suspension, plug-in four-wheel drive and a reduction gearbox.
- Simple design, high maintainability.
- Seven seats (there are folding benches) and a large luggage compartment.
- Excellent resale.
For 50 years, the instrument panel has not changed much, which apparently confirms its perfection. They changed the handlebars, ennobled the handrail – before it was just a painted pipe.
Disadvantages of UAZ‑3151
- It quickly rusts everywhere, breaks constantly.
- Huge fuel consumption.
- Ascetic equipment, poor ergonomics, no sound insulation.
- Cannot move in a straight line.
Tried small scale on Hunter on many different bikes. There are old cars with a stubborn Polish-British Andoria diesel engine (2.4, 86 hp), Chinese Isuzu (2.8, 92 hp) and other units.
Main: petrol ZMZ-409 (2.7, 112-135 hp) and diesel ZMZ-514 (2.2, 92-114 hp – until 2015). In different versions, with upgrades, different firmware and so on.
They are all simple and relatively easy to fix. There are cases that for 100 thousand km did not break at all. But there are many more. All engines are prone to overheating, especially diesel engines. All attachments are not very reliable, the quality of spare parts is extremely unstable.
The resource can be conditionally designated as 200-250 thousand km. But before this milestone, a minimum of one shot is required. At the same time, there are cars on the secondary market with a specified mileage of 350-400 thousand km.
The consumption of gasoline engines in real conditions is 15-20 liters per hundred. Diesel eats one and a half times less.
The manual transmission was used in several variations, with four and five gears, including the Chinese ADS. All domestic gearboxes are noisy and unreliable, although reliability is subject to wear, wear to the volume of loads, and no one buys a Hunter just to drive on smooth asphalt.
Since 2006, the Korean five-speed Dymos T032E was offered as an option, making the car significantly more expensive. There are practically no complaints about this unit, the best choice.
The transmission is almost completely intertwined with weaknesses: cardan shaft, razdatka, gearbox, power bridges, and so on. The whole economy is rusting fast. But all types of repairs are mastered and they are inexpensive.
- Wear of the running gear is too dependent on the nature of the operation, and the nature is usually difficult – predictions are impossible.
- Attempts to adjust camber are often unsuccessful due to frame misalignment. Choosing a used Hunter is better to start by studying it to at least identify cracks.
- After the purchase, a total anti-corrosion effect of everything is useful, although it will not save the exhaust system: the muffler is a consumable item.
- Experienced uazovods advise to buy Hunter with mileage. It is very likely that some assembly errors have been corrected. Many place the center differential and “gate” on the rear bumper and remove the spare tire from the sagging door. Sometimes the alignment is very elaborate – a seven-year plan can cost two million.
- There are literally a few cars under three years old on the secondary market.
Euro NCAP: test was not performed
The most massive offer on resale: Hunter 2.7
Optimal choice: Hunter 2.7
For the same money: Chery Tiggo T11, Chevrolet Niva, Hover M4, Lada 2121
- 5 of the most reliable and economical used diesel crossovers are here.
- A wide selection of spare parts and consumables under the Za Rulem trademark. The full range and list of sellers can be viewed via the link.
- “Behind the wheel” can also be read in Telegram.
Source: Z R